Search This Blog

8/16/11

Mother's Day

Oh Troma how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...
Toxic Avenger, Sgt Kabukiman, Surf Nazi's Must Die, Terror Firmer, Poultrygeist, Class of Nuke Em High...

So much fun to be had by Troma. Although, even though they have some really fun (ie so bad they are great) movies, they do have a huuuuge pile of turds in the mix also. I think Mother's Day fit somewhere above the middle of the pack.
There were parts of this that were a bit slow but overall, for a pre-Toxie film, I thought it was rather fun. The blood and gore was rather tame for a Troma flick but it's an early one and they obviously haven't grown into their now notorious skin yet.
The acting was surprisingly well done for an old C list movie. The bad guys/woman were crazy enough to be entertaining but not so over the top to be ridiculous. The female leads were were better than your average schlock actresses.

Random thought while watching:
The "half the size of your face" 70's style glasses kill me.

These kinds of movies have to be watched on a different scale of likability that other movies. When going in, you know there is going to be cheesy dialog, bad acting, bad/way over the top blood and gore, sex, t&a, violence and some WTF type moments. I think when you're in the mindset for this type of movie you end up being pleasantly surprised when you finish and find yourself not ready to make a deal with the devil to get that hour and a half back. If any of the elements listed above are actually tolerable, it's a win. If you get more than one of these elements working together then you have a good Troma flick.
I didn't put this on the top of my list because it didn't have that fun factor that movies like Poultrygeist and Toxic Avenger have. I think this is due partly because of the fact that the characters weren't completely over the top. It was more on the horror/suspense end than the crazy twisted humor end. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of things that had me laughing and I would in no way put it in the classification of a horror movie. I think that's why I can't put it up on top of the list. Although it was probably one of the more well rounded Troma films out there that's exactly what kept it from being a great movie for me. When I watch Troma, I want crazy. I want head splats. I want people being boiled in a fryolator. I want t&a. I want to go through the whole movie asking myself, "What the hell?!" I want to mutter, "Geezus!" I WANT MAYHEM!
Er... uh... excuse me. Where was I... Oh yeah. I would say that if you're in a Troma state of mind and you're looking for something you haven't seen and you've seen all the Troma greats, I don't think you'd be disappointed with Mother's Day.



No comments:

Post a Comment