Search This Blog

8/1/11

Just Go With It

Adam Sandler cracks me up. I like, or at least had many a chuckle from, nearly all of his movies (Except Little Nicky. I don't know what it was about that movie but I couldn't stand it). I also mentioned in my little review about Priceless, that I tend to like romantic comedies. Aaaand, being a guy, adding the fact that Brooklyn Decker, Jennifer Aniston and Nicole Kidman are in it, I was pretty much sold on enjoying some of it at least.
This movie had me laughing from beginning to end. The whole cast seemed to have fun with the characters. Nick Swardson was absolutely hysterical and I have a feeling 10 year old Bailee Madison is going to be absolutely huge in Hollywood in the not too distant future. On topof that, Dave Matthews was friggin great too. Who'd have guessed he'd be a funny bastard on film?
With this type of movie, I usually don't expect there to be too much in the way of plot twists or deep story elements. You know how the movie is gonna end by looking at the cover art. It's not about about whether or not they end up together, it's what happens to them that gets them together and if it makes you laugh and pull at some heart strings along the way.
I think the one thing that really makes or breaks this type of film is the on screen chemistry. Adam Sandler and his crew seem to almost always hit the mark or at least super close to it.
I was talking about this movie to a friend of mine and he said his wife saw the movie and usually she likes Adam Sandler's movies but she didn't like this one. My roommate and I were in stitches through most of the movie. Now being that I'm a guy, I had the added bonus of watching the three lovely ladies I mentioned at the beginning. Obviously this isn't going to be a plus in the eyes of most of the women out there. That got me thinking... Adam Sandler has proven he can pull off romantic comedies that women love. He also has the 5th grade humor that guys like me enjoy. Is it possible that he created a romantic comedy for guys? In thinking back, I did realize that this movie pulled off the romantic comedy story without any huge tension scenes or heartbreaking occurrences. As far as I know, that's part of what women enjoy in this type of movie. I could be wrong (surprise, surprise, women baffle me so I most likely am). This is also the part that makes most guys cringe.Well there ya go.
As Mike Meyers' Linda Richmond character would say...
Here's a topic faw ya: Did Adam Sandler make a RomGuyCom?
Tawk amongst yawselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment