Search This Blog

7/31/11

Sucker Punch

I was really excited, like many other people, for Sucker Punch to come out. I try to stay away from trailers and promotions to a movie and go into films with as little info as possible. I ended up seeing a clip or two from this before I watched it and that was enough to suck(er) me in. I added the (er) because I was duped into thinking it was going to be an awesome movie.
I love the new Dawn of the Dead. As much as I rail on this awful "reboot" trend, I liked that remake. I also liked 300. So when I heard and saw that director Zack Snyder had a new, really fun looking movie coming out I thought I was going to enjoy it. I was wrong. I had heard many-a-bad review of this movie before I finally rented it from Redbox and I was hoping that my quirky sense of movie admiration would save it for me. It didn't.
I will say this for the movie, it looked pretty as hell. I loved the style of the movie. Unfortunately, this didn't even come close to saving it. The war/fight scenes where amazing in their imaginativeness, these scenes were so gorgeous and fantastic that you can't help but enjoy them... although somehow you could. They totally fell flat. Why? I'm not sure. For action scenes with lots of shooting and fighting, they felt lumbering and tedious. The problem is now you have two more layers of stories above this to wade through. Yes, without giving too much away, this movie has many layers and unlike Shrek these layers don't lead to a soft and likeable inside.
There was so much potential in this story and somehow it all fell flat on its face. It had beautiful, kick ass women. Gorgeous Baby Doll in pig tails fighting all sorts of fantastical warriors and soldiers. It had steampunk Nazi's. It had stylish cinematography. It had so many great ideas that there should have been no way for this movie to be anything less han fun to watch. And yet... it wasn't that fun to watch. I would really have to watch it again to try and figure out what I think went wrong with it but it's not worth that kind of effort.
I would suggest putting this movie on in the background of a noisy house party. That way people could catch the fight scenes while drunk and not really paying attention. That or just watch the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment