Search This Blog

9/1/11

Take Me Home Tonight, Wild Cherry, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend

So instead of trying to write three reviews I'm gonna take a stab at all three at once. Why? mostly because I've been watching so many movies lately that I've overwhelmed myself with reviews I would like to write.  I didn't want to put off any more reviews so I figured I'd do all of these romantically inclined movies together.

Fortunately, my impressions of the first two were similar. They made me laugh at points but overall seemed to fall rather flat. Take Me Home had some amusing scenes.  I think I laughed out loud a few times. The movie is supposed take place in the 80's. Why? I'm not sure. I thinks the idea was to go for the nostalgia hook. I think they were hoping that that hook was going to get people to watch. I admit, that's one reason I wanted to see it. I think they did that to try and separate it out from all the other teen comedies we've seen for year. In that aspect, it worked. When people talk about this movie they describe it as an 80's comedy. Unfortunately, the only thing I can remember that set it in the 80's was the music. If you took out the music and replaced it with modern music, it would be a mediocre modern day teen comedy. One problem with the movie was that they actors weren't used to their full potential. Topher Grace, Anna Ferris and Dan Fogler are all hugely talented comedic actors that, with the exception of Dan Fogler, seemed restrained or at times uninterested in their characters. If that was the case, it was because the characters themselves weren't all that interesting or unique. I wouldn't say this was a bad movie. I enjoyed parts of it but it certainly wasn't the most entertaining movie. I ended up picking up the laptop and surfing about half way through, if that tells you anything. I admit, I did stop surfing to soak in the scene with the always gorgeous Angie Everhart...

Which brings me to Wild Cherry. This movie was supposed to be an "American Pie from a more female perspective." Was it? Eh. Not really. Yes, the lead characters were girls. Was raunchy? Eh... there were a couple scenes, more like one that could be considered raunchy. Was it fun? A little. This one suffered from a similar problem as Take Me Home did. It was rather flat. The charachters were pretty one dimensional and not very fun. I didn't really end up laughing a whole lot or caring about how it was gonna play out for them. I will say that Rob Schneider did a great job playing a nervous dad and Tia Carrere's short "Power of the pussy" scene was rather entertaining. I would have to say though that I liked this one slightly more than Take Me Home.
Lastly we have My Girlfriend's Boyfriend. This wasn't so much a comedy as more of a straight somewhat light hearted romance. I ended up liking this one the most. It went in a different direction then I thought it would which was disappointing and rewarding at the same time. I could watch Alyssa Milano any day all day, but that aside, the rest of the acting was good too. I enjoyed all the characters. I loved that Tom Lenk who played Jonathan in Buff the Vampire Slayer was in it. He's got a great comedic charm to him. Very entertaining. It was in a way kind of hokey with how upbeat the majority of the film was. I loved the music in it also. Even though there only seems to be about four songs.Well It was funny I was brainstorming once on what a cool hacker name would be if I were one (i'm not smart enough though lol) and Said SCSImatrix sounds cool. I hate that my brain has prolonged this review too long for me to get into specifics because specifics don't stick long with me. I'm gonna end this with I really liked this movie. It was charming the characters were engaging and I had fun all around watching it. Now that being said I'm not even gonna do a final proof of this or I won't publish it. So please excuse any bits of poor grammar, run on sentences, half thoughts, total fallacies or devil worship that may have crept in over time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment