Search This Blog

7/30/11

Paranormal Activity 2

So, I finally got around to watching this. I remember the buzz around the first movie and having to search out a theater that was actually playing it around here. I was super excited to see it. Most of the time, that's a kiss of death for a movie because they almost never live up to the hype. I was glad that part one didn't disappoint. I'm usually the type of person who gets annoyed at the Hitchcock theory of it's better to leave stuff up to the imagination of the viewer. I agree that in many cases a movie can be better if the audience doesn't have the whole story shoved down their eye holes. I also think some films really need to show as much as they can. If I am watching a slasher film or cult flick, I want to be shown everything. These types of movies are made to shock and I think in those cases it's more shocking and disturbing to actually see what's going on. With movies like Paranormal 1 & 2 this philosophy probably would have cheapened them. Movies don't spook me easily anymore. It really takes some work to get the hairs on my neck to stand up an both of these films did that for me. When I got home after watching the first one, I actually found myself asking if I really wanted to turn off the lights before going to bed!
Then... a short time after part one was out... the dread news spread around that part two was in the works and, I admit, I groaned. Thinking back to Blair Witch 2. I assumed this sequel would go in the same direction. Why? Because I believe that movies on shoestring budgets actually draw out more creativity. Once Hollywood money gets poured into the likes of Paranormal Activity, it usually goes sour pretty fast. Suddenly it's about special effects and "let's see how we can mold it into a clone of whatever the hot movie was last year." I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how true to the first film this sequel stayed. Actually it was so true that it was almost an exact clone of the first one.
The scares were your classic startle moments... it's quiet... there's a noise... BLAM! Just like the first. I'd have to say that this didn't detract from my enjoyment. The one thing that did distract me was the feeling that this story didn't fit in with the first. By the end, it did seem to fit and I assumed it was my bad memory that caused the rift.
Overall, I enjoyed the flick. Even though it wasn't as good as the first one, it wasn't as bad as your typical Hollywood sequel. I am definitely looking forward to seeing the third in this series in the hopes that it doesn't strive any farther than trying to copy part one.

No comments:

Post a Comment