Search This Blog

7/26/11

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Hmm what to say about this one... Well let's start off the fact that although I liked the Ghostbusters movies, I can't say I was crazy about em at the time. I do remember obsessively playing the Ghostbusters game on the Commodore 64 though! I must admit that as soon as I heard the music and had Venkman, Egon, Winston and Ray start talking to my character I went all nostalgic. This is the kind of thing that made me enjoy the game. Now I want to go back and watch the movies again. (In fact I just rented it on Zune) Having all the voices back and the same humor of the movies is what this game is about. I loved that they go back and give back stories to some of the ghosts we saw in the movies. Did I mention...YOU GET TO BE A GHOSTBUSTER!
On to the game play. This is where the game is weak. Not a good thing for a game to have as a weak point but for me the enjoyment of the story and character interactions well than made up for it. Part of the way through the game, I went online and started reading reviews of the game to see if my impressions of the game were on par with what other people thought. I found out they were. There were plenty of times through the game where I just stared at the screen thinking "what the hell am I supposed to do?" I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means so it's not unusual that I get stuck. According to the reviews I read, this is one of the flaws of the game. The level design is pretty suspect at times. This game also lent itself to quite a bit of swearing and cursing it's existence. There is no "dying" in the game but the characters can get knocked out. If all of them are knocked out, you have to restart at the last checkpoint. Basically, in some levels, if you don't pay attention to who's knocked out and run to revive them as soon as possible, you will be restarting the level very soon. The game also jumps from super easy to frustrating as all hell in the blink of an eye. It never gets impossible though. One other thing that was mentioned in the reviews I read, which I also noticed, is how everything you encounter (like chairs, tables etc) act as if they weight as much as a sheet of tissue paper. I understand why they did this though. The reason was to allow you to have the same fun they did in the movies and completely destroy rooms in which you are bustin ghosts. This was something I could forgive because it was fun to see the carnage after all was said and done.
So, would I recommend the game? If you're a fan of the movies, yes... yes I would. If you're just looking for a good game to play but never really cared about the movies, you'll probably want to stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment